In a shocking incident at the W.T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora, Florida, a woman's fingertip was severed by a library drop box while she was returning a book. Barbara Haverly, a registered nurse, was simply dropping off a book on July 28 when the freak accident occurred. The incident took place around 12:30 p.m. when the swinging metal door of the drop box unexpectedly snapped back, trapping Haverly's finger.
The severity of the accident became apparent as blood began squirting everywhere. Haverly described her state of shock, realizing that her artery had been hit. Disturbingly, she noticed that a part of her left hand's middle finger had fallen into the drop box. In a desperate bid to salvage her finger, Haverly urged the library staff to retrieve the severed fingertip and place it in ice. A concerned patron even rushed to the library's bathroom to fetch paper towels to help with the situation.
Despite the chaos, the library staff continued to assist patrons in checking out books during this distressing ordeal. Haverly recalled the chaotic scene, acknowledging that the staff might have been in shock too. However, she insisted that they prioritize retrieving her fingertip and immersing it in cold water.
Haverly took her severed fingertip with her to the hospital, hoping it could be reattached. Unfortunately, surgeons were unable to do so due to multiple severed nerve endings. Although skin is expected to grow back, Haverly will likely not regrow the nail. To allow for skin regeneration, more of her finger had to be amputated in a straight line, as it had been diagonally cut off.
In a disturbing turn of events, Haverly's husband Paul discovered that an "out of order" sign had been placed on the drop box when he returned to the library. This revelation raises concerns that other individuals may have suffered similar injuries in the past. Haverly's attorney highlighted the legal principle of sovereign immunity in relation to the case, suggesting that the library may bear some responsibility.
The impact of this accident has been life-altering for Haverly. She can no longer perform activities she once enjoyed, such as picking up her grandchildren or participating in yoga and golf. She expressed her disbelief, emphasizing that she was not taking any risks and was merely returning a book at the library. Tragically, she now lives with a permanent disfigurement.
Fox News Digital reached out to the Lake County Library System for a statement regarding the incident but has not received a response. This incident serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers that can lurk even in seemingly mundane daily routines.