Fatal shooting at UNC at Chapel Hill leaves faculty member dead

01:25 29.08.2023

An alleged gunman was arrested near the University of North Carolina (UNC) campus on Monday after a faculty member was shot dead, leading to a lockdown of the school. The incident occurred in Caudill Laboratories, according to UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz. The campus was locked down around 1 p.m. after shots were reported, and an alert was sent out instructing students and staff to stay inside and avoid windows. UNC Police Chief Brian James confirmed during a press conference that a faculty member had been killed and that no other injuries were reported.

Responding officers found the slain faculty member, though their identity has not been released. The suspect, later identified as UNC student Tailei Qi according to sources, was arrested at around 2:30 p.m. The campus was given the all-clear at around 4:15 p.m. Authorities released an image of Qi, describing him as "armed and dangerous" and urging people to keep their distance and call 911 if they spotted him.

UNC Chancellor Guskiewicz expressed his devastation and sadness over the shooting, acknowledging that it had damaged the trust and safety that the campus community typically enjoys. The motive behind the shooting has not yet been determined, and it is unknown what, if any, relationship existed between the victim and the suspect. The weapon used in the crime has not been located.

During the lockdown, tension on campus was palpable, with a significant law enforcement presence. Approximately 50 police vehicles and multiple helicopters arrived at the scene. Students and faculty were seen barricading themselves in various campus buildings. One officer yelled at individuals attempting to leave the student center, emphasizing the need to stay indoors. Students were escorted out of one of the science buildings with their hands raised.

Multiple hours passed as students and faculty anxiously awaited updates. Some individuals expressed extreme nervousness, while others listened to police radio broadcasts to stay informed. The lockdown lifted shortly before 4 p.m., allowing students and faculty to resume normal activities. The UNC Police Chief warned that the investigation would take several weeks to gather every piece of evidence and determine the motive behind the shooting.

The shooting and subsequent lockdown had a significant impact on the campus and the surrounding town of Chapel Hill. The university, which houses around 20,000 undergraduate students and 12,000 graduate students, canceled classes for the following day. Students described barricading their dormitory doors and hiding in fear during the lockdown. The nearby Chapel Hill-Carrboro City school district also implemented a lockdown as a precautionary measure.

UNC Police Chief James confirmed that formal charges had not yet been filed against the suspect, and the school announced that Caudill Laboratories would remain closed until further notice for evidence processing. The incident has shocked the UNC community and raised concerns about campus safety. Students, both domestic and international, expressed their fear and uncertainty during the lockdown, with some worried about the potential impact on their academic programs.

/ Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 1:25 AM /

themes:  Shooting  North Carolina

All rights to the materials belong to the sources indicated under the heading of each news and their authors.