USALife.info / NEWS / 2023 / 09 / 16 / TRAGIC DEATH: TODDLER CONTRACTS BRAIN-EATING AMOEBA AT ARKANSAS COUNTRY CLUB SPLASH PAD
 NEWS   TOP   TAGS   ARCHIVE   TODAY FEED 

Tragic Death: Toddler Contracts Brain-Eating Amoeba at Arkansas Country Club Splash Pad

21:07 16.09.2023

Tragic Death of Toddler at Arkansas Country Club Linked to Brain-Eating Amoeba

In a devastating incident, a 16-month-old toddler named Michael Alexander Pollock III has lost his life after contracting a rare brain-eating infection caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri. The incident occurred at a splash pad located at the Country Club of Little Rock in Arkansas. Michael's parents, Michael Jr. and Julia Pollock, were out of state when the tragedy took place. The young child passed away on September 4, and the Arkansas Department of Health confirmed the cause of death in a press release.

According to officials, it is believed that Michael was exposed to the brain-eating amoeba while playing in the splash pad at the country club. The Health Department conducted water sampling, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed the presence of Naegleria fowleri in one of the samples. As a precautionary measure, the Country Club of Little Rock has voluntarily closed its pool and splash pad, assuring the public that there is no ongoing risk.

Naegleria fowleri thrives in warm water, particularly at temperatures up to 115F. The CDC warns that the amoeba is most prevalent during the months of July, August, and September. Some experts have even suggested that climate change could contribute to the increased occurrence of Naegleria fowleri infections. As air temperatures rise, water temperatures in lakes and ponds also increase, creating a more favorable environment for the amoeba to grow. Heatwaves, in particular, can further facilitate its thriving.

Initial symptoms of a Naegleria fowleri infection typically manifest around five days after exposure, although they may be noticed sooner. Headache, nausea, fever, and vomiting are common early signs, according to the CDC. As the infection progresses, individuals may experience confusion, stiff neck, disorientation, hallucinations, seizures, and coma. The infection can lead to death within a range of one to 18 days, with an average of five days.

The tragic loss of Michael Alexander Pollock III marks the fifth reported death in the United States this year caused by Naegleria fowleri. Late last month, a Texas resident contracted the amoeba while swimming in Lake Lyndon B. Johnson. In July, a Georgia resident also died from the infection after swimming in a freshwater lake. Additionally, a young boy in Nevada lost his life in a similar incident, and a man in Florida contracted the infection after rinsing his nose with tap water.

Naegleria fowleri is a rare infection that predominantly affects humans and must be inhaled through the nose before reaching the brain. It is commonly found in warm, low-level freshwater sources such as rivers, lakes, and streams. The CDC advises maintaining proper disinfection levels and ensuring the absence of soil contamination in pools and splash pads to prevent the spread of the amoeba.

Although Naegleria fowleri infections are infrequent, they can be fatal, as tragically evidenced by the loss of Michael Pollock III. The Arkansas Department of Health continues its investigation into the incident, and the community mourns the untimely death of a toddler described by his parents as their "pride and joy.".

/ Saturday, September 16, 2023, 9:07 PM /

themes:  Florida  Texas  Georgia  Nevada  Arkansas



01/10/2023    info@usalife.info
All rights to the materials belong to the sources indicated under the heading of each news and their authors.
RSS