In a terrifying incident in Palm City, Florida, an Amazon delivery driver was hospitalized in a "very serious condition" after being bitten by a highly venomous Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake while attempting to drop off a package. The incident occurred on September 18, and the details were shared by the Martin County Sheriff's office in a social media post.
The unsuspecting driver approached the front door of the Palm City home to make the delivery when she encountered the coiled rattlesnake. As she walked towards the door, the snake struck her in the back of the leg, just above the knee. Immediately after the bite, the driver started feeling ill, and she quickly dialed 911 for help.
Thanks to the GPS coordinates provided by the driver's phone, dispatchers were able to locate her and send an ambulance to transport her to the hospital. The woman's identity and age have not been disclosed.
Following the incident, a spokesperson for Amazon expressed concern for the driver and wished her a full recovery. Branden Baribeau stated, "Our thoughts are with the driver, and we hope for a full recovery after this frightening incident. Together, with the Delivery Service Partner, we're looking into the circumstances surrounding this incident and continue to make sure that drivers understand they should not complete a delivery if they feel unsafe."
The Martin County Sheriff's office emphasized the prevalence of Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes in the area, describing them as highly venomous and very common. These snakes are easily identifiable by the large dark diamonds with brown centers and cream borders that run down their backs, as well as their distinct tail rattle. According to the Florida Museum's herpetology page, they can be found throughout every county in Florida.
CBS Miami reported that Eastern Diamondbacks possess enough venom to kill five people. The Florida Poison Control Center advises against applying tourniquets or ice to the bite, as it worsens the damage. Additionally, they discourage attempting to cut the skin and suck out the venom. Instead, they recommend seeking immediate medical attention at the nearest hospital.
This incident serves as a reminder of the dangers faced by delivery drivers while carrying out their duties. It follows another close encounter with a rattlesnake last month when a FedEx courier in Nebraska narrowly avoided stumbling upon a prairie rattlesnake on a customer's front porch. In that instance, the quick-thinking courier used a shovel to dispatch the snake before disposing of its remains with a rake.
themes: Florida Amazon Nebraska