New York security guard shot at high school football game: Police

00:02 11.09.2023

A 16-year-old suspect has been arrested in connection with the shooting of a security guard at a high school football game in Utica, New York, over the weekend. The suspect turned himself in to police after being identified through numerous videos of the incident at Thomas R. Proctor High School. Although not a student at the school, the suspect was enrolled in an alternative educational program. The teenager, whose name has not been released due to his age, is facing charges of attempted murder in the second degree and weapons offenses. Police have indicated that other individuals may also be charged in connection with the incident.

The shooting occurred on Saturday just after 4 p.m. after a group of about a dozen people were turned away from the varsity football game against nearby Binghamton High School. A fight broke out outside the football field, prompting two security guards to intervene. Footage from the incident showed two shots being fired, with one of the security guards collapsing to the ground with a gunshot wound to the back of the head. The injured guard was rushed to the hospital and is currently in critical but stable condition. Police have stated that he is expected to make a full recovery.

Although investigators have not disclosed an official motive for the initial fight, they believe it may have been gang-related. The investigation is ongoing.

This incident marks the latest shooting at a high school football game. Last week, a student was killed and a woman injured in Louisiana after shots were fired during halftime. An 18-year-old suspect was arrested in that case. In August, another 16-year-old was killed when shots were fired from the stands during an Oklahoma football game.

In the Utica shooting, the security guard was shot in the back of the head while trying to break up the fight in a parking lot outside the high school. The gunfire occurred just after 4 p.m. and was captured on video. The guard was rushed to the hospital and remains in critical condition. According to Utica Police Chief Mark Williams, the violent group had been turned away from the game by another member of the school's law enforcement just moments before the shooting. The stadium is equipped with metal detectors, but the guard turned the group away before being alerted to the presence of a firearm.

Authorities believe that a lone gunman, who is still at large, is responsible for the shooting. While a motive for the fight has not been determined, it is suspected to be gang-related.

The incident has prompted the high school football stadium to be placed under lockdown. The shooting occurred outside the stadium at Proctor High School, and the stadium was placed onto lockdown following the incident. Police have assured the public that all students at the game are safe and accounted for. The condition of the security guard has not been released, but authorities have stated that they will provide updates as they become available.

/ Monday, September 11, 2023, 12:02 PM /

themes:  Shooting  New York (state)  Louisiana  Oklahoma

All rights to the materials belong to the sources indicated under the heading of each news and their authors.